Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter in Korea


I especially love the sweet testimony Elliott bears in this Easter e-mail. 


April 1, 2013
Well family, friends, stalkers, devoted fan club members, and former companions,

Super sad to hear about Baron... he was a super cool cat.  I'm sad to hear that I won't be returning to any pets back home... super sad. But, I'm glad that you all had a great time down in Arizona.  It sounds like a blast!  Shopping, food, and waterparks!  Super neat! And glad to hear that Easter was/is good.I totally didn't realize yesterday was Easter... it's not as heralded in South Korea as it is in the States... my only hint were the hymns at church, and the Sacrament talks.  Whoops.  But I had a good easter.  I actually got the gist of the topics yesterday, even able to pick out a few lines (we had talks on obedience, friends and fellowshipping, and the resurrection)/  Sunday school was fun too - we had one eternal investigator show up, and he's still in high school, so we attended the youth's sunday school.  I'm not sure what the topic was, but I can tell you that we were asked, "What parables did Christ teach with in the New Testament.... and which one is about faith"... the teacher was dropping mad hints about the mustard seed parable (which I have no idea how to say mustard seed in Korean... I have it written down somewhere.  Just need to study it), and then she asked us what our thoughts were on repentance, forgiveness, and the resurrection.  All in all, I was super happy to finally be able to participate in a church class.  Finally, priesthood and relief society was combined... all about attending the temple and being a temple attending people. It's one of the Stake focuses... Attend the temple and have a temple recommend.  And it was a good opportunity to talk with Elder Benson about how we can help our members attend the temple.

Then came missionary coordination meeting.  It was more fun than meetings past (I had an on day with the language yesterday - Tender Mercy #1).  I understood more than I normally do, and I understood exactly what I needed to.  Boom.  Awesome.

That about summarizes my church experience of Easter.  Yeah, that may have read like rambling, but in any event, I'm pumped that I could understand a little more.

Moving on to equally exciting things:  Dad, I don't hear much about the land up north... especially since I don't have a native companion anymore, and because the ward members talk to us missionaries about different things.  I just know that if there was any real danger, I'd be moved to safety... so until a full scale invasion, I'll pretend like North Korea is like Canada... there, but mostly harmless (I love you Nathan ^^).

So hey, I love you all.  So much.  I'm grateful for all y'all. Bringing it down to a more personal level, I'm grateful to have such a wonderful family, to have such great friends, and to have served with such great companions.  I'm grateful for all your prayers in my
behalf, and know that I pray for you every night.  I'm grateful for the letters and emails, and I want you to know that they are the bright point of P-Day.  The words of encouragement don't go unnoticed, and I often find myself reflecting on the spiritual gems of knowledge that you send me during the course of the week.

I know that this church is true.  I'm super grateful for the opportunity that I have to find and teach the people of South Korea, and I know that it's exactly where God wants me to be.  I love the Book of Mormon.  Reading it has been such a blessing in my life - in
times of trial, it's provided comfort; in times of confusion, it's provided clarity; in times of discouragement, it's brought hope.  I love the lessons taught in it.  I know it contains God's word, and by extension, I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet.  I know that it is
by small and simple means that God does work miracles, and that the day of miracles hasn't ceased.

I know that God loves us.  We are His children, and He has a work for each of us to do in order to help our brothers and sisters to return home.  We are literally in the similitude of His Only Begotten.  God lives.  He's mindful of us.  He wants to help us.

I love you all, and IU hope you have a great week!  Until next week!

Elder E-L-L-I-O-T-T WEDAM

No comments:

Post a Comment