Thursday, August 15, 2013

Families Can Be Together Forever


August 5, 2013
Hey family!  Friends!  Others!
 
It shounds like this week went super well.  I must say, I'm glad to not be at home with a crazy flooring project going on.  That looks rather stressful.  And like a lot of physical work.  All I'm gonna say is "Nananana boo boo.  I get to walk around in 90 degree weather with 50% humidity."  Small victories, right?
 
Well, a year has almost passed.  And what an almost year it has been.  8 transfers, 7 companions, one tricompanionship.  Training, senioring, letter writing, proselyting, weight losing, friendshipping, gospel learning... it's been one packed year.
 
I've learned more about who God is and what it takes to live a Christ-like life.  I'm learning more about what it takes to be an effective member missionary, and really what missionary work is (hey, by the way, it's not just going on the streets and talking at people.  It's all about relationships, and having solid, eternal friendships).  It's impossible to document everything that I think, feel, understand in one letter.  And I honestly think that all that I learned can't be put into words, but it can be seen in how I talk, write, speak, and appear.  I know I've changed.  I've grown.  But I really expect that everyone has.  A year is suprisingly short, but there's so much that can happen in it.
 
The days here are still similar.  There's always something new.  But as I've grown to love the Korean people, I've realized that I care more about the people I meet and have come to love than I care about being comfortable.  And, I can honestly say that I'm doing the best I know how, and everyday, I learn how to be a little bit better.
 
But this above all.  I know that families can be together forever.  Fun fact.  I haven't been able to sing that song all the way through during sacrament meeting - or anytime really - after primary.  It's because everytime I sing it and think about the words, the Holy Ghost testifies to me that it's true.  Families can be together forever.  And what a glorious promise that is; the promise extends beyond just blood.  We're all one eternal family - we are all God's sons and daughters, and so friendships can be eternal.  That's something that I'm grateful for; not just because of all the friends I've met here in Korea, but because of the friends I have back at home whom I already know and love (and don't think for one minute I ever forget anybody).  Why is this important?  Because it means that there is a purpose behind every relationship we've ever had, have, and will have.  Our friendships and kinships started before this life, and they will continue after.  Why?  Because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, because of His resurrection.
So why do I labor?  I labor hoping that God will grant unto me the grace to fulfill my desires.  I'm hoping that by working diligently and giving my all to the Lord that I can one day stand in God's presence with all the people whom I have come, am coming, and will come to love.
 
I love you all so much!  I hope your Sunday/Monday becomes well.  Until next week!
-Elder Wedam

No comments:

Post a Comment