Sunday, September 9, 2012

Howdy Friends of Elder Wedam!  Here's the last letter from Elliott that I neglected to post until now because of a very BIG bicycling LOTOJA adventure for some of the family yesterday. 

SEPT 4, 2012

This week has been nuts.  Let me rephrase that.  Sunday was nuts.  Fast Sunday at the MTC is super awesome... but then came a huge shocker.  Guess who got called to be a zone leader for the next six weeks?  (I think that should be enough of a hint...), and guess who has literally no idea on how to do it?  (Bit of an overstatement, said someone received some instruction last night.  Said someone still doesn't know what to do, but has a better idea than before).  I think that accurately sums up the last two days.

Oh, but then Sunday's Fireside was amazing.  We got to watch President Monson's 85th birthday celebration.  It was awesome.  Mostly because after 4 weeks of incredibly hard work, it was fun watching something that was a little lighter.  It was a much needed break.  

Oh, and mom, your package came.  Thank you so much!  I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to get it until today... sometimes packages come during the evening, and the post office closes early on Saturday... and is closed on Sunday... and Labor day.  In short, I was super excited when Elder Bowman handed me a slip saying I had a package.  I almost did a jig, but alas, I realized that I had no clue how to do a jig, and I didn't feel like making one up as I went.

Then the weather this week.  Terry and Whitney may have already told you, but we had a good sprinkle for three days (compared to Eugene, everything sprinkles), and thunderstorms two days.  It was fairly epic.  What made it even better, the heavier rain always started right after gym time (I'm super happy about that.  Like, ridiculously happy.  Want to talk tender mercies?  That was one).  On the plus side, I think I may have a new favorite thing about the MTC: Beach Volleyball in the rain.  It was fun, refreshing, and just all around great.  If you ever get the chance to play beach volleyball in a slight drizzle, do it.  You won't regret it.

And I learned a really valuable skill this last week.  How to properly cross reference!  And since it's clicked, I've been going cross reference crazy.  Awesome connections I made this last week... The parable of the unjust servant (the one who received forgiveness from his master for his debt of 10 thousand talents, but wouldn't forgive a fellow servant a debt of 100 pence... Somewhere between Matthew 18-21) cross referenced with DC 64:9-10 (I think that reference is right... forgive everyone); the youth in Matthew who desired eternal life but wouldn't give up his wealth for the poor (Again, around Matthew 18-21... guess what I read this week) crossed with Jacob 2 (I want to say verses 4-5... seek ye first the kingdom of Heaven); DC 121:35-46 (Oath and covenant of the Priesthood... I think it starts on verse 35) crossed with Matthew 19 (I think? ...the part where Christ talks about how people are subject to kings and speaks of authority).  Anyways, I really enjoyed making those cross references... it made for a good coloring project =D

Oh, and as far as progressing "investigators" go... I'm getting much faster at forming sentences in my head.  And by me, I really mean that the gift of tongues is real.  As in, there is no way that I'd be able to say half of what I wanted to say without God's help.  When you bear testimony of the Atonement and then carry one a brief conversation about repentance (and be able to understand the responses) all in Korean, you feel really good.  But then you realize that it isn't really because you're awesome at Korean, you're just willing to work hard and trust that God will take care of the rest.

Elder Bowman is still really awesome - the first few weeks was awkward for everyone.  Now that we're all exhausted 24-7, everyone is either really funny or really testy (meaning they like to push everyone's buttons... when you're tired, it's really hard to not tell them to knock it off politely... hence why I haven't said anything... and I can be a bit testy too.  Planning on napping today =D)

I realize that this email has incredibly short paragraphs, I'm super sorry about that =/

I love you all!  Take care, and have a good week!

Elder Wedam

No comments:

Post a Comment